South Royalton is located in northern Windsor County along the White River. Vermont Route 14 runs along the north side of the river, just outside the CDP limits, leading southeast to White River Junction and northwest to Barre. Vermont Route 110 leads north from South Royalton into Tunbridge. Interstate 89 passes to the west of the village but does not serve it with a direct exit. Access to South Royalton is either from Exit 2 (at Sharon) or Exit 3 (at North Royalton). (From Wikipedia.)
South Royalton village was founded when the Vermont Central Railroad came up the White River valley. The first train rolled through on June 6, 1848. On July 4, 1848, amid great fanfare, the frame of the first building, a store, was raised by Daniel Tarbell, Jr. of Tunbridge. Later, joining with Lyman Benson of Sharon, they began to build and develop South Royalton village.
(Final paragraph was adapted from the exhibit that can be found in the fellowship hall of the United Church of South Royalton, where many more details may be found. It was made possible through the efforts of: The Royalton Historical Society, Evelyn Lovejoy, Hope Nash, Helen Dumville, John Dumville, and Kevin Eaton. .)